Let’s face it: Shifting heavy furniture, such as sofa, table, and desk, is not an easy task. It not only requires a lot of work but can also be potentially dangerous. For this reason, it is essential to do it the right way, especially if you’re planning to move it on your own.
Before you get yourself involved, please remember, the entire process takes a good deal of time, effort, and money. After all, the desk has considerable weight and size. But regardless of the hassle, moving a few furniture items from your old house to a new one, you will have peace of mind once done. If you’re looking for cheap moving services in California and can’t find the right ones, try moving your households on your own.
For example, you may have a desk, which you like for its design, aesthetic beauty, functionality, and sentimental value. In simple words, it is your favorite piece of furniture. Now, you don’t have enough to hire professionals for packing, loading, and moving your desk, but you also do not want to risk its safety by transporting it yourself. If you’re stuck in a situation like this, we are here to help you. In this post, we will explain everything you need to know about moving a desk without hiring office movers in San Diego.
First of all, you need to determine whether your desk is worth taking the trouble of relocating it from your current home to a place thousands of miles away. For this, it is vital to scrutinize the condition of your desk to decide its fate. Here the following tips you can use to make a final decision.
- Look at the condition – Now observe the condition of your desk to check if it is in bad shape or well-preserved. For instance, if you own this desk for several years, it is better to give it up. On the contrary, if you bought it recently, then you must take it with you.
- Functionality – The next thing you need to consider is to find out the functionality of your desk. Well, it is essential because there is no point in moving a desk that is not functioning efficiently. You will waste your money and time in packing and moving a non-functional desk.
- Quality – If you have invested your money in a desk made up of high-quality wood or a product manufactured by a reputable company, leaving it behind would be a mistake.
Apart from this, you need to consider the aesthetic beauty of your desk and the sentimental value attached to it. If it is an antique desk, then not taking it with you is out of the question. Once you’re satisfied with the moving of your desk, purchase supplies, moving boxes, tape, blankets, bubble wrap, stretch wrap, packing paper, etc.
When it comes to packing the desk, the method you will use depends on its shape and size. Below, we have explained how to pack a desk of varying size and weight.
- Small or medium-sized desk – Generally, the most crucial thing to keep in mind when packing a desk is to protect its surface using adequate padding. For this purpose, you can use thick blankets or bubble wrap.
- Large-sized desk – Well, this type of desk is hard to move due to its weight and bulky size. Therefore, it is best to disassemble it before packing to ensure safe moving.
A step-by-step guide to disassembling the desk
One of the primary advantages of disassembling bulky items is to reduce their size and weight significantly. As a result, your desk will be much lighter and safer to carry. In addition to this, you can smoothly move the compact-sized desk through tight corners, smaller doors, and more.
- Firstly, remove all the drawers and keep them aside.
- The next step is detaching easy-removable elements like glass panels and removable trays, and packing them separately.
- If you own a large L-shaped desk, separate the two components using a screwdriver to open the fastening elements. Now, you have a desk in two halves, which is easier to pack and move.
Lastly, do not throw away the fastening elements, including decorators, nuts, bolts, metal planks, screw, and washer, and put them in a sealable plastic bag.
Key considerations when packing your desk for moving:
- For a safe and smooth relocation, it is vital to have the right packing material.
- To add plenty of padding, use a specialized packing blanket for extra protection during the move.
- Use soft packing paper to cover the delicate elements.
- Cover the packing paper layer with bubble wrap to safeguard fragile components of an office desk or study desk.
- After this, add another layer of stretch wrap and secure it with tape.
As a thumb rule, you should not leave even a single area of your desk uncovered to prevent any damage. Plus, never use packing tape directly on the desk because the glue residence does not go away.
How to move your favorite desk without a professional’s help?
While you’ve decided to move your desk without hiring a moving and storage company in San Diego, it is going to be hard and tricky. So, here are a few ways to simplify the process.
- Inspect the way out to your home and if you find any obstacle, make sure you remove it.
- Use a moving dolly to slide your well-packed desk from your room to the moving truck.
- It is not easy to lift heavy and bulky furniture pieces. So, when moving your desk, it is always advisable to ask for help from friends or relatives.
- Safely ramp-up the load in the back of a moving truck.
You must keep all these things in mind when moving your living room desk or office desk from one place to another. However, in the case of moving an antique desk, we urge you to hire the best moving and storage company in San Diego to prevent the risk of damaging your exquisite desk.
If you are searching for experienced movers and packers that offer cheap moving services in California, Eckert’s Moving and Storage is your safest pet.