Moving is stressful enough, but when you’re moving cross-country, it requires a lot more planning, preparation, and time. In fact, it’s a process that can take months just to get to moving day. When you consider you have to find a new home, book your move with Eckert’s Moving and Storage, and pack your belongings all while worrying about your family and new job at the same time, it can be extremely stressful.
7 Steps to a smoother Relocation
With all there is to remember, you want to ensure that you have as smooth a move and transition as possible. If you’re not sure where to start, here are 7 tips that will help you prepare for moving day:
- First and foremost, start as early as possible – your two most important assets when moving cross-country are patience and time. Although many of us could learn to be more patient, time is a critical factor and the more you have, the better off you’ll be. So, be sure to allow 6 to 8 weeks to prepare for your move.
- Consider your moving options – when it comes to moving, you have two options – a DIY move or hiring an experienced team of professional movers like Eckert’s Moving and Storage. A DIY move isn’t recommended for cross-country relocations. It’s far too stressful physically and mentally. Plus, in some areas, renting a truck can be almost as expensive as hiring a moving company.
- Make a moving schedule and stick to it – if you want to ensure that everything gets done and goes according to plan, make a moving schedule and stick to it. There’s far too much to remember, so write it down and go over your list 3 or 4 times to ensure you haven’t forgotten anything.
- De-clutter and downsize – your move will cost less and be a lot easier if you only take the items you use on an everyday basis. It’s always best to divide things up into three separate categories namely, the items that are moving with you, the items you’re going to donate or sell, and the items you’re going to throw away.
- Start cleaning NOW – while it’s tempting to put off the cleaning until the movers have left . . . DON’T. You need to start cleaning long before Eckert’s Moving and Storage arrives to start loading the truck. It is essential to make sure that everything is in order before the relocation happens.
- Vet several moving companies – nothing is worse than realizing you’ve hired lousy movers that aren’t reputable or can’t be trusted. Always get referrals and make sure that the company is a member of AMSA (the American Moving & Storage Association) and BBB-accredited. Look online, get referrals and read testimonials to ensure you made the right choice.
- Pack like you’re the professional – packing your belongings yourself can save you hundreds of dollars in moving expense. While you may still want us to handle items such as breakables, dishware, electronics, mattresses, mirrors, and pictures, there’s no reason why you can’t handle everything else. Just be sure to purchase quality packing materials such as boxes, bubble wrap, wrapping paper, and packing tape.
- Calculate the cost of shipping your car: This is the pet peeve of most people looking to move cross-country. Would it be better to drive the car, ship it or sell it? If your car is leased, it will help to ship it to reduce extra wear and tear or go beyond the allocated miles on the vehicle. On an average, the cost of shipping your vehicle across the country is about $950- $1100, based on the shipping method, moving company and the car you own. If you want to look at the country, drive the vehicle and enjoy the road trip.
Rights and Responsibilities when moving
As with other moving companies, Eckert’s Moving and Storage will provide you with a pamphlet entitled “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.” In fact, if you’re considering another company, be sure they give you a copy of this. If they don’t, that should be a red flag about their reputability and trustworthiness. Copies are available online if you want to read it ahead of time. And while it’s not an action-adventure novel, it contains a lot of important information regarding the moving process as well as the best ways to protect yourself. Additionally, you are sure that the company is legit if it is providing you with pertinent information.
For more information regarding preparing for a cross-country move, contact Eckert’s Moving and Storage at (888) 274-7230 today or visit our website by clicking here. We can not only help you move but assist you with the planning, organizing, packing and other ancillary services. Call us today and let’s start.