The idea of living in a brand new home is exciting but not the process of packing and moving your entire house from one place to another. When it comes to packing your belongings, it might seem a real challenge for most homeowners, as it is not easy to decide what to take and what to leave.
Over the years, everyone might have accumulated little junk in their apartments, and some might have more. So, this is the right time to get rid of that trash lying around your house. In any case, you can get benefit from de-cluttering home before packing and get organized for the upcoming residential move. But if you’re moving home the first time, then you might have no idea how to de-clutter your home efficiently. Therefore, in this post, we will explain the steps involved in de-cluttering your home.
Do you know with the right plan or strategy, even the most disorganized people can have a well-organized packing and smooth relocation of the home? However, the success of your move also depends on your choice of moving company. For this reason, always work with the best residential movers in San Diego.
To begin with, de-cluttering is an essential way to free yourself from clutter and get your home relocation in order. Here are some tips to de-clutter your living space and make packing more convenient and organized.
- Set goals
No matter how many rooms you have and how much clutter is there in each, setting goals will not only improve your organization but also help create an effective plan. Following are the things you need to keep in mind when setting a goal for de-cluttering your home.
- Pen down a plan of de-cluttering from room-to-room and mention the clutter hot spots that require special attention.
- Grade each room based on the amount of clutter accumulated, such as on the scale of 1-3.
- De-cluttering the entire house may seem like a frustrating and time-consuming task. Therefore, always focus on one room or area at a time.
- Set completion dates for de-cluttering each room. However, make sure these dates are achievable, as setting unrealistic dates will lead to discouragement.
- Some areas like the basement or garage may not take longer to de-clutter.
- Get a sorting system
As you move from one room to another or area-to-area, you will need a system to sort your household items depending on their usage. Well, you create a sorting system with the help of three-box method, which is one of the most organizational tips. To do this, you need three boxes, namely pack, sell or donate, and throw.
- The box with a label PACK will include belongings that you will pack and move to your new home. These are things that you use and are in good condition.
- The second box that is labeled as SELL or DONATE will have things that are in good condition, but you don’t use them anymore. So, you can either choose to sell them for cash or donate them for a good cause.
- Lastly, the box labeled as THROW will include items that are damaged and can’t be used by anyone.
- Get rid of clutter
Now, it is time to choose the fate of each box. When it comes to “pack” boxes, you should carefully pack the items in the right-sized moving boxes, while ensuring they are labeled accurately. For fragile valuables, make sure you use plenty of padding and wrapping for extra security before packing in the box. Plus, you can purchase the wardrobe boxes, which are best for packing clothes.
And for the other two boxes, use the following ways to get rid of extra belongings.
- Recycle – Send recyclable items like plastic, glass, and paper to the nearest recycling location. You can also put it in a recycling bin if you have a facility like a curbside pickup.
- Donate – Household items like shoes, clothes, and more that are in good condition can be donated to the local charitable organizations or communities. Please, don’t throw away usable things, your trash can be someone’s treasure.
Apart from this, if you own things with sentimental value that you don’t want to give up and you can’t take them to your new apartment either, hire a secure storage place. These days, many apartment movers in San Diego offer storage services also to help their customers store some of their belongings on temporary basis. In most cases, it is not possible to move all their belongings at once, so storage services come in the picture here.
The bottom line
Always remember, if your packing is organized, the entire moving process will be smooth and hassle-free. De-cluttering is the best way to get your packing organized, which eventually makes your home relocation less stressful and more fun.
Do you want to work with one of the most reputed moving and storage companies in San Diego? If so, get in touch with Eckert’s Moving and Storage.