Relocating home or office is a stressful and tedious task, especially when it’s out of the state. If you’re planning a move across state lines, it is not only an emotional journey but also an undertaking of numerous tasks. After all, it is not easy to leave your friends, home, and city where you’ve lived your entire life.
You also need to hire a moving and storage company in San Diego that has the required licenses, insurance, and permits to transport belongings from one state to another. Apart from this, the to-do lists are huge for out-of-state moves.
If you’re thinking about how to get everything done on time, we have a complete checklist to track your progress from day one. Let’s straight-forwardly dive into each step involved in moving out of state.
Two months prior to your relocation, you should use this time to start preparing for your upcoming move. At this stage, focus on planning, organizing, and prepping tasks, which include:
- Get a moving binder – Keeping all your moving documents in one place can protect you from last-minute stress. A moving binder is one of the best ways to organize all the documents.
- Take a printout of your checklist – For an easy reference, it is advisable to print your moving checklist and keep it in a binder along with other documents.
- Leverage the internet to explore your new place – Before you move your household belongings to another state, it is essential to know about the place you’re going to live. So, use the internet to explore restaurants, hotels, schools, corporate offices, and other amenities.
- Buy your moving supplies – Whether you’re hiring a professional moving company or DIYing your upcoming move, it is always a good idea to buy your moving supplies in advance.
- Schedule appointments – If you need to see anyone like an eye doctor or dentist, it’s the right time to schedule your appointments. Also, make sure your kids are up-to-date with their vaccinations.
- Set your budget – Although you have a clear idea about moving expenses in your head, it is still necessary to budget everything before the move. It will give you an idea of how much you’re willing to spend on traveling, meals, and other expenses.
It’s the right time to pick an official date for your home relocation. Choosing a date is crucial, as it will help you hire movers, pack your belongings, inform your friends and landlord, and more. Here are the things you need to take into consideration at this point.
- Book a car shipment – If you’re not driving, then book a shipper to transport your car before you move out of the state.
- Get plane tickets – Are you planning to fly? If yes, then now is the time to buy your plane tickets, as sometimes, last-minute booking can result in no tickets.
- Secure a temporary house – Do you have any friends or relatives in the state where you’re moving? If yes, then you stay with them for a few days till you find a house. On the other hand, if you don’t have anyone, then you can opt to secure short-term housing.
- Research about your movers – If you’re considering a moving company to relocate your belongings, conduct an online search to find the most suitable option for you.
- Remove unnecessary items – De-cluttering is the best way to get rid of unnecessary items that you’ve collected over the years. To do so, sort all your possessions and either donate or throw away things you don’t anymore.
- Ask help – As mentioned already, moving home is a time-consuming task. So, you would need plenty of favors throughout the process. For example, if you have small kids, then you can ask your friends and family members to babysit them.
Well, you’ve already made big decisions related to your home move. Now buckle-up and get ready for the most tedious task of your moving that is packing your belongings. Apart from this, here are some of the tasks you need to complete over the next few months.
- Create a packing plan.
- Research on the type and size of a storage unit, if you need it.
- Book a cleaning service, as you have to clean the place after you move.
- Update your address, cell phone, and bank details before moving.
- Cancel all your subscriptions such as gym, club, etc.
- Start packing your household belongings.
The bottom line
With these moving tips, you can have a smooth and hassle-free out-of-state move. As a thumb rule, always pack snacks for your moving day and carry expensive items like jewelry, documents, and family heirloom in your handbag or a separate suitcase. Lastly, always be prepared for any unforeseen occurrences.
If you’re looking for expert moving tips in San Diego for your next long-distance move, get in touch with Eckert’s Moving and Storage. We have years of experience in helping people move their homes and offices at competitive prices.